Earth Day has a Birthday!


With the 40th birthday of Earth Day upon us, I thought it would be appropriate to post something that reminds us of what can and has happened when we aren't so kind to this place we call home. Harri Kallio's hand made recreations of the long extinct Dodo bird are spectacular sculptures that honor craft and skill. But wait, it gets better... the work doesn't just end in sculpture, they also exist as photographic studies. I first found out about Kallio's work when I saw it at the Museum of Unnatural History show at CLAMP Art last month (of which all included work was amazing). These prints are so beautifully composed and lit I could just about eat them.

I love my Planet, and Earth Day is an educational and beneficial celebration, but being bashed in the head with "green" themed art can be a bit overwhelming. What I love about this work is that it has so many layers that include and then transcend the issues between man and nature. It's also nice to walk away from an image and not have to feel like an asshole for being human. Thanks Harri!

Comments